March 19, 2008

Worries and dreams

Well at last I'm done with my finals. The microeconomics final was easier than I expected, however there was one or two problems that I wasn't sure of. Then the game design final was a joke. That said I did not fool around with it since it's worth like 20% of my grade. Anyways that's that.

Moving along... the Taiwan elections are really starting to make me worry. I'm not too hopeful of Hsieh's chances at this point. I mean, I do think he has a reasonable shot at the presidency but I think that Ma still holds a slight edge over him. My view on this however, may be somewhat off due to the fact that I am not currently there as well as that most of my information on how the election has been going has come from media sources- sources that often quote the latest polls by KMT affiliated media such as TVBS, Chung Tian, China Times, and the United Daily News. Seriously guys, if your writing an article for some foreign newspaper please don't quote the poll figures given by those KMT media. Anyways, it's just really disapointing at seeing how eagerly the foreign media write of a potential Ma victory. For example, here's an article from Bloomberg titled, "Taiwan's Ma May Win Election, Boosting Markets, Investec Says." Lovely. Then would a potential side article be titled, "Taiwan's Hsieh May Win Election, Lowering Markets, Investec Says"?

However, there has been a few bright spots in this campaign for the DPP. Yesterday, in order to appear patriotic to Taiwan as well as being a man of principle, Ma said that he would consider boycotting the Beijing 2008 Olympics if the crackdown in Tibet continued. Sounds eloquent, huh? But Hsieh came out today in this interview and literally dissected Ma's statement.

Hsieh's also started to make his presence felt on TV by putting up a few new commercials. Although Hsieh doesn't have the funds to air them as often as Ma does, I think that Hsieh's TV ads are better designed as they are succinct and straight forward.

No comments: